What are the study hours?
On our Online+24 course, supervised hours are a minimum of 140 hours (20 days) plus 28 supervised clinic hours (4 days).
In the clinic students practice for some of the time and observe other students as well.
The self-study online is a minimum of 165 hours.
Total acupuncture course hours including the post graduate days and clinic is: 333 hours. However, this is an absolute minimum and most of our students do a lot more when self study and practice time are included.
Students are encouraged to meet and practice skills together between sessions.
Teaching Programme - Outline
- The History of Acupuncture: Theoretical & Philosophical Perspectives
- Healing with Acupuncture, using various styles and developments.
- 5 Element Acupuncture: Developing elemental awareness, the skills and ability to use this in acupuncture practice. The officials and the energetic nature of elements. Learning traditional 5E protocols.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM): Learning key concepts and theory of TCM for the purposes of acupuncture practice. Including Zang Fu, 3 Treasures, 6 Divisions, Qi, Organs, Channels etc.
- Acupuncture Points Theory: Types of Point, the nature and energy of points, functions and creative uses of key acupuncture points.
- Health & Safety: Referrals, Notes, Drugs, Legal Obligations, Insurance, Premises, Ethical Issues etc.
- Diagnosis: and Treatment Planning using information obtained through a variety of skills and using that effectively in a clinic setting.
- Pulse Taking: Identify types of Pule, Diagnosis with Pulse.
- Tongue Diagnosis: Identifying key features and meanings.
- Acupuncture Point Location: Practical application of locating, sensing and using acupuncture points.
- Needling: Needle safety, Needle techniques and development of practical and energetic awareness and needling skills.
- Clinic Skills: Cupping skills and use of heat and moxibustion, B.P testing etc.
- Palpating Skills: and healing skills for treatment and diagnosis.
- Basic Massage techniques to compliment acupuncture.
- Treatment of real patients in clinical setting.
Postgraduate Study (Theory & Practical)
Our post graduate courses are available when advertised and cover subjects like Ear Acupuncture, Cosmetic Acupuncture, Specialized techniques for Pain Control and Gynaecology.
ALL CURRENT POST GRAD COURSES ARE INCLUDED IN THE LATTER STAGE OF OUR CORE ONLINE+24 COURSE
How will I be assessed?
Students are understandably always concerned about exams and we aim to schedule these into the course in a way that gives enough time for preparation. We currently assess in the following way:
- Needling and Clean Needle Technique – practical exam – Pass/Fail
- Point Location – practical exam – Passmark 70%
- Mini tests – at the end of each module (online – not formative)
- Written Examination – online – Passmark 40%
- 3 written Assignments Pass/Fail
Once you have completed our acupuncture course and passed all the relevant assessments, you will graduate with a Certification of Competence to Practice. This will enable you to obtain insurance and work legally as an acupuncture therapist in the UK. This may or may not be acceptable in other countries and potential students are advised to research this in advance.
Note that enrolment on our acupuncture course will not normally qualify you for a student visa in the UK as this is a part time course.
Outcomes and CPD
Once the course has been completed, acupuncture students will be able to work as a professional acupuncturist having developed and gained knowledge, practical skills and practitioner awareness. This will enable you to take a case, make a diagnosis and then plan and carry out effective acupuncture treatments for patients in the UK, in a caring, professional and healing environment.
It is worth noting that if you compare our Healing and Acupuncture College course (plus 2+ years of practice and good CPD) with a typical 3 year course, you end up with a similar amount of experience and hours.
Want to find out more?
We will add you to our subscribers list for updates – you can unsubscribe at anytime.